Saturday, May 21, 2011

an adventure called being a wife

My female friends tell me that being a mother is the most fulfilling thing in the world, and I am sure that they're right. At this point in my life, though, I'm really glad that I'm getting to enjoy just being a wife.

A lot of girls these days don't get to experience what it's like to have a husband but not have kids yet. I'm telling you: it's awesome. It's like being on a date 24/7. There are lows as well as highs, but they only serve to enrich the experience, as a little salt enhances the sweetness of the sugar in a cake. You know that now you're in it together, for better or worse. Your childish illusions about your partner slowly crumble, but they are replaced by a deeper appreciation for everything that your partner is and is not.

I'm learning a lot about my husband -- his quirks are a constant source of hilarity at the house. I'm also still learning how to be a good wife. If, at the same time, I had to learn how to be a good mother, I'm sure I would be gasping for air, just totally overwhelmed.

So, to all the girls out there: try not to do anything stupid, and don't be afraid to take your time. I promise you life will be so much better if you take it step by step. I suppose things will have a way of working out, whether you take the long way or the short cut in terms of building your own family, but you might just miss out on some beautiful scenes if you're in too much of a hurry.

6 comments:

taweng said...

I agree.

the philippine daily idiot said...

are u preggy, though? :)

aah i can never be a wife, let alone a mother. lol

Ligaya said...

nope... :) aiming to be the poster child for responsible parenthood ehehehe

bricalz said...

Well said...

Though I'm with meloinks on this one. The chances for me becoming a wife is next to nil, nada, and between zilch and void.

berg said...

all brides-to-be and newlyweds should read this. it makes a whole lot of sense! i mean, i'm not a girl but i've always wondered why couples rush to have a baby immediately after getting married. hehe! good read.

Ligaya said...

Thanks Gilbs! And thanks for dropping by. I thought I recognized the name (from sa food blog ninyo ni Jeff before) so I went over to your blog and ikaw jud diay. ^_^