Monday, April 25, 2011

♥ kate and wills ♥

While I don't recall ever dreaming of marrying an actual prince, I'm rather excited that Kate Middleton is soon to marry hers. Aside from the innate attractiveness of a commoner marrying a prince with (1) a name the length of a mile -- His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, to be exact, with the official surname of Mountbatten-Windsor, (2) a smile that is not half-bad, and (3) a legitimate excuse to wear hats such as this one


there is also the fact that the two of them look genuinely happy together in a relaxed, as-equals sort of way.

Not only is Kate inspiring women everywhere to don trenchcoats (ahem), her upcoming wedding is also apparently inspiring an uptick in the British bookmaking industry. There are the usual bets -- the color of Queen Elizabeth's hat is said to be a regular draw during Ascot races and currently stands at 5-4 in favor of yellow -- and then there are innovative ones, such as:

Prince Philip falling asleep during the ceremony
(Give the guy a break; he's 89. He is also, incidentally, worshipped as a god by members of a cult in Vanuatu.)
Odds: 8-1

Elton John being the first to cry
Odds: 8-1

"Truly happy to be here" as the first cliche in the Bishop of London's speech
Odds: 11-4

The maid of honor is usually the favorite to catch the bride's bouquet, and the betting public is placing their money on that at 3-1 odds...despite reports that Kate will not be tossing her bouquet and will be leaving it instead on the grave of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey. Now that's giving away money. Then again, you can bet I'll be glued to the television screen on April 29, despite the fact that I don't own a television. Such things as odds fade in significance during fairy tale weddings. Here's hoping the royal couple-to-be will beat them odds and live happily ever after.

--------------------
Updates: random thoughts while glued to the tube

I want a hat!

Hmm. Harry has broader shoulders.

Oh look! Royal V-hires!

Prince Charles is looking better and better with time. I'm sorry for Diana, but I'm glad he eventually got married to the woman he actually loved.

Hah! The Queen has got on a yellow hat. Congratulations to those who bet on yellow...at such short odds, probably not worth that much, but a win's a win for all that.

I totally approve of the trees. When you've got a church as jaw-dropping as that, elaborate floral arrangements would be overkill. The trees are stately and they bring a touch of freshness to what might otherwise be a stuffy setting. This must be what Hogwarts looked like when Hagrid brought in all those real pine trees for Christmas.

I wonder how old Charles will be when he finally ascends to the throne. Elizabeth doesn't look like she's kicking the bucket anytime soon.

Harry is my mum's favorite royal. He's got a look like he could do something mischievous at any time. I'm reminded of Prince Corin's reaction when he found out that Shasta was going to be king instead of him: "Hurrah! I shan't have to be King. It's princes have all the fun."

Kate is so pretty! And I love her dress; it's beautiful and sensible and classic at the same time.

Those flower girls are so cute! (I'm sounding more and more like a girl. But it's okay, since I am.)

If I were sitting behind the queen, I wouldn't wear such a hideous hat.

Well, it looks like Kate didn't leave her bouquet at the tomb of the unknown warrior. There's hope for Pippa catching it then.

Awww. A carriage ride. I want one! And a horse.

The girl with the hat that looked like convoluted ram's horns was one of Prince Andrew's daughters?!

I want a horse!

Which reminds me: I promised Aivan I'd take him to London one day, even if I have to work myself to death to afford it.

I want a horse!

No comments: