Thursday, March 3, 2011

i ♥ george smiley

Cartwheels! Whistles! Tin cans! Party poppers! They're making a movie version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy!

Gary Oldman will play George Smiley, Colin Firth (the Colin Firth) will play Bill Haydon, Tom Hardy will play Ricki Tarr (in lieu of Michael Fassbender), and look who's playing Jim Prideaux: it's my old friend, the one and only, if not quite unique-looking, Mark Strong. (Read some of the movie buzz here.) When I first saw the words "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Colin Firth" together, I thought Colin -- British, fat-ish, and somewhat ordinary-looking -- would make the perfect George and was initially disappointed when I realized he wouldn't be playing him. Still, people are saying that Gary Oldman is the best actor never to have been nominated for an Academy Award, so I'm pretty sure he will do Smiley justice. And, who knows, this role might be The One.

Gosh! I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Even if you've never heard of TTSS, you might have heard of another famous John le Carré book: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. (No?) I have to admit I didn't quite get this book when I read it the first time, but when I read it again, the beauty of the plot just knocked me off my feet. I've always wanted to be a spy, and John Le Carré's novels are exciting forays into that secret, sad, solitary world of my unfulfilled dream career.

The first JlC book I read was The Secret Pilgrim. It is captivating and haunting at the same time, bitter and sweet. I loved it, and it was while reading it that I fell in love with George Smiley. One can't help swearing allegiance to George. If you can't find the book in the store, please, please promise you will watch the TTSS film...and click here.

No comments: